Chicken Curry with Star Anise
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of the ingredients for this Indian curry, because if you follow the instructions nothing can go wrong and you will get a fragrant curry with authentic taste.
- 3 red chilies, to taste
- 1 1/2 inches ginger, fresh
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion
- 500 g chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- o 2 tablespoons oil
- o 1 star anise
- o 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black cumin seed, lightly crushed with the mortar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Process all ginger paste ingredients in a food processor into a paste. If you don’t have a small food processor grate ginger, garlic and onion and add finely chopped red chili.
- In a big bowl marinate the chicken with 1/2 cup yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric powder, coriander powder and ground cumin for at least 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a wide skillet and sauté ingredients star anise, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick until aromatic. Add chopped onion, crushed black cumin seed and garam masala. Cook until liquid is adsorbed.
- Pour in water and coconut milk. Simmer until meat is tender and oil begins to separate (this takes about 20 minutes).
- Add salt and adjust chili to taste. Add half of the fresh cilantro, stir.
- Garnish with the reserved fresh cilantro and serve with rice.