It’s apple picking season here and we want to celebrate this amazing moment! This was one of your best apples pie ever!
- 2 cups flour ( your may mix it with whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cold water (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten to brush (optional)
- 2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced ( weight of slices)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 cup sugar ( if possible brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (optional)
- Pastry for double crust pie of 9 inches.
- Combine flour, margarine and salt with a pastry blender or fork until balls are the size of a large pea.
- Add egg and cold water spoon by spoon working with the fork until the bowl starts to clean itself.
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
- Coat sliced apples with flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind.
- Line greased pie plate with unbaked pie crust, trim pastry.
- Fill pie crust with apple mixture, top with sugar and dot with butter if used.
- Brush crust edge with water or eggwash and place pie crust top on top of pie, crimp to the bottom crust. Brush with eggwash if you like.
- Make some cuts in the top crust for steam to escape. This can be done also prior transfer the cover crust on the apples.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F/230°C.
- Turn oven down to 350°F(180°C and bake for other 45 minutes.