Cozy Onion Soup
“Today’s selection for a light and tasty lunch was an onion soup. I noticed I had some snacks (crackers) leftovers. The humidity did not make a good job with them as they were too soft to be attractive. I placed them in the oven to low heat until they returned crunchy and in the meantime I prepared the soup.”
What you need
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups broth (vegetal, chicken or beef)
- 1 cup white wine (to taste)
- 1 cup crackers or 1 cup old bread, toasted
- 4 -6 tablespoons gruyere Swiss cheese, grated or 4 -6 tablespoons other cheese
- Melt margarine in the pot.
- Add onion and roast at medium temperature until they begins to brown.
- Add flour, stir well and cook for other 5 minutes stirring from time to time.
- At once add the broth and stir well.
- Add wine and cook until the desired consistency is reached. I cooked it for about 10 minutes. In the meantime heat the broiler.
- Season with pepper.
- Divide soup into fireproof bowls, spread ¾ of the crackers on soup and top with cheese.
- Place under the broiler until cheese is well melted and begins to change color.
- Serve immediately topped with remaining crackers.