On Crete many families have their own lemon three as the need every day for their dishes. I will propose you a simple dessert we got from friends on Crete. Amalia brought us these, gave me her recipe and finally I wrote it down in order not to forget it.
Recipe for about 50 pieces; quantity depends on the size of the mold. Amalia used a mold of about 10 to 12 inches.
Tip: Don’t forget to grate lemon peel and freeze for recipes like this one if you need lemon juice only.
- 1500 ml water ( about 3 pounds or 7 1/2 cups)
- 3 lemons, grated zest only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 900 g sugar ( about 4 cups)
- 400 g dried unsweetened grated coconut
- 1 lb semolina ( the kind used for halva)
1. Bring water, lemon zest, vanilla, oil and sugar to boil.
2. Add coconut but reserve about 4 tablespoon of them for the topping. Stir.
3. Reduce heat to minimum.
4. Add semolina; stir constantly until liquid is absorbed.
5. Pour in a greased mold and cover with the reserved coconut.
6. Let cool down completely and cut into 1 inch pieces.