Today I prepared with great success these meatballs. The basic recipe is one of my standard, but the big change was the shape and the addition of the orange sauce. A real perfect combination!
You can serve this with rice or you can prepare mini stars and serve this as starter.
For the meatstars/meatballs:
- 500 g ground meat (I used beef)
- 4 tablespoons fried onions, ready to use
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- 3 tablespoons bread ( crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 eggs
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teapsoon salt, taste
- 1/3 cup wine, white or 1/3 cup milk
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetal oil
- 1 very big sweet onion, sliced
- 2 orange zest, only orange part and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoon soya sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Chili flakes to taste
- Combine well all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl.
- With wet hands take a meat portion of the size of about one egg and form a ball.
- I you like to make the stars, take a star shaped cookies cutter of about 2 inches diameter and press the meat-mix inside, taking care to fill the corners. Remove with caution and place on a parchment paper on a baking sheet. Repeat.
- For the sauce slice the onion, peel the orange with the vegetable peeler and press the juice.
- On maximum heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions for 2-3 minutes until borders begin to turn brown
- Preheat the oven to 500°F /250°C.
- Add orange zest and flour, reduce the heat to minimum heat.
- Add water, juice, soya sauce and chili flakes.
- Let simmer.
- In the meantime place the meatballs in the oven. They will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Just before the meatballs are ready (the borders begin to turn brown) adjust sauce adding more soya sauce, add sherry and more water or orange juice if necessary.
- Serve meatballs with sauce, top with some pepper flakes if you like and garnish with salads.