This was a quick lunch for as the preparation didn’t require a lot of time and I had my spices mixture ready.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (I used a red one), diced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon spices, blend Maroccan mix
- 2 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of water
- salt, to taste
- 4-8 eggs (1 or 2 per person)
- 1 teaspoon Za’atar for topping
- Heat oil in a non sticky frying pad. Add bell pepper and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown.
- Add garlic and spices mix stirring for 2 two minutes
- Pour tomatoes with water and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly. Season sauce with salt.
- Crack eggs over sauce so that eggs are evenly distributed across sauce’s surface.
- Cook (covered if you wish, I didn’t) until egg whites are set for about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle egg yolks with Za’atar spice mix.
- Transfer to the plates using a big spoon and enjoy with fresh bread.