Fish with Curried Coconut Crust
A long time ago, on a small island in Thailand an Indian Friend prepared this dish for us.
It’s a fusion of Indian food and the ingredients available on the island simple prepare but wonderful in taste.
Feel free to adapt the recipe you have on hand and adapt the cooking time!
You can use fish fillet, whole fish with incisions, or like in the photo a whole fishbone removed fish.
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds fish
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup dried coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon chili, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 -2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetal oil
- Prepare you fish as desired. In my case I got a salmon, opened it ventrally (did not cut through the back) and removed the bones with a sharp knife.
- Arrange your fish in a baking greased baking mold or make a mold with foil.
- Combine all the ingredients for the crust and add some more water if necessary.
- Press the crust ingredients on the fish.
- Sprinkle with oil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes at 350°F/180°C until through and a crust is formed.
- Enjoy for example with rice (suggestion: jeera rice!) vegetables or salad.