Chocolate Cake with Cannoli Filling
This is hybrid recipe: a simple but good chocolate cake and the filling used for cannoli (a Sicilian specialty).
To follow the original cannoli recipe you should use fresh ricotta, but using light fresh cheese you will have very good results as well.
What I like of this recipe is the low content of fat, this especially if you use light fresh cheese.
It’s a reach cake in any case and it can serve at least 12 peoples!
Cake basic recipe:
- 80 g butter or margarine
- 200 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 350 g flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 g cacao
- 80 ml milk
- 4 tablespoon orange marmalade, melted
- 1 cup ricotta or light fresh cheese
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoon dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon candied orange zest, chopped
Decoration to taste. Suggestions:
- Combination of powdered sugar
- Chocolate glaze
- White powdered sugar glaze
- Beat together butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy
- Add eggs and salt. Beat until soft.
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder and cacao.
- Add dry mix to whet mix and add milk.
- Mix until very well combined.
- Pour in a prepared mold (Springform, only bottom greased).
- Bake in a preheat oven at 180°C/350°F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place on a grid to cool down.
- Cut the cake in order to make two layers.
- Brush the bottom with the marmalade.
- In a bowl combine ricotta, powdered sugar, chocolate and candied orange zest.
- Distribute over the bottom, and assemble cake again.
- Place in the fridge for about one hour.
- In the meantime prepare the glaze (if desired). Glaze or decorate the cake as you wish and place in the fridge for other 30 minutes if you glazed the cake.
- Serve and enjoy.