Stuffed Grape Must Cookies
It’s autumn it’s grapes season!
Grapes come in a variety of colors (red, white, and blue) and types (seedless or with seeds, table grapes, or wine grapes). You can find grapes at most common in farmers’ markets, and home gardens. These grapes are often used for juice, jelly, jam and… you will see.
In the next days I will propose you some recipes I tried with these fruits.
I will begin with the cookies I prepared inspired from Cretan recipes.
In this case I combined the recipe of must cookies also called Moustokouloura (Μουστοκούλουρα) in Greek and raisin cookies called Stafidota (Σταφιδωτά).
The glaze was an additional extra for the taste and for the eyes.
Grape must preparation and clearing
Collect only healthy and ripe grapes in a big pot. Squeeze the juice with your hands and pour through a colander.
To clear the juice place 1/2 teaspoon of pure wooden ash per liter and bring to boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes. During this step remove the foam with a ladle.
Filter the juice trough cheese towel or a paper filter.
- 8 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 cup of grape must
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup of oil
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 200 g almonds
- 300 g raisins
- 1lemon zest, grated
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Chocolate glaze
- Powdered sugar glaze (1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tablespoons brandy)
- In a big bowl combine all dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl combine the liquid ingredients.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry mixture.
- Mix and knead until you get a soft, pliable and non-sticky dough. If necessary adjust humidity with flour or grape juice.
The classic shape of the cookie is a round one with a hole in the middle (kind of like a doughnut), but you can also fill them with the suggested filling.
- How to fill them: take pieces of dough the size of a walnut and roll with your hands into a ball. Roll out to a disk of the size of cup add 1 teaspoon filling, fold and press the border until tight. Or roll out the dough in portions, spread filling, roll it out and slice.
- Place the cookies on ungreased baking sheets leaving space in-between.
- The baking sheet does not need to be greased. Cook in a moderate oven for about 25-30 minutes; the cookies will turn golden brown, depending on the color of the grape must, but they should not be overcooked.
- After cooling down you can decorate them with glaze as you like (dipping or drizzling).