This was the minestrone we prepared last week; we didn’t get leftovers!
Please, take this recipe as general guide as you can use the vegetables and the ingredients you have on hand: for example also some wine, chili, pesto or some tomato paste. For a non-vegetarian soup you can fry some chopped bacon with the onions.
This gives a big pot of comforting soup.
- 200 g dried beans, mixed
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -3 carrot, diced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 celery root, peeled and diced
- 6 -8 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon broth, concentrate quantity to taste ( can be vegetables broth)
- parsley, chopped to taste ( or other herbs to taste)
- Pepper, to taste
- The day before: place beans in a big bowl with water to soak.
- In a big pot fry the onion in the oil until translucent.
Add carrots, leek, bell pepper and celery. Fry stirring from time to time for about 10 minutes.
- Add water, rinsed beans, broth concentrate parsley and bring to boil.
- Add pepper and add more broth concentrate to taste (or add salt).
- Simmer for 90 minutes or according the package instructions of the beans. If necessary add more water.
- Enjoy with rustic bread.