I decided to prepare a new rhubarb pie. We are lucky to have a vigorous plant giving us year after year enough rhubarb for or desserts until late June or early July.
I opted for an easy and fast recipe today, something that would require only 10 minute preparation and will let me plenty of time for other homework while cooking in the oven.
This version of pie does not require a lot ingredients or skills, but you will need to careful while transferring to a serving plate. Or you can simply use a mold that you will use for serving as well.
The secret? The liquid batter will have enough time to set during cooking and to form a crust on the bottom.
o 3 eggs
o 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
o 1/2 cup flour
o 1 1/3 cups milk
o 1 cup sugar
o 2 teaspoons vanilla
o 2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1 cm (1/2 inch) pieces
- Arrange rhubarb on a large pie mold.
- In large bowl combine melted butter, eggs, flour, milk, sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix with a mixer or blender until smooth
- Pour the batter over rhubarb.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 1hour and 10 minutes. If you are using a thick clay mold you may use under heat during the last 10-15 minutes.
- After baking the pie will have an elastic crust on the bottom, rhubarb will have risen on top.
- Loose the borders and the bottom with a spatula after cooling down if you opt to transfer it on a serving plate. Use a second plate to invert it.