A typical Indonesian smell at pasar malam (night market) in Indonesia! No wonder, this dish is one favorite not only by tourist but by local people as well.
This is more than a dish this for me as this let me dream from Indonesian and brings me back to my first trip there.
Bandung, Indonesia 1988. Landing in Jakarta we went straight to the train station and took the first train to Bandung. We passed on the mountains, saw tea bushes and arrived in Bandung. We found our room and hungry we went to the square. An old lady near a smoky BBC served us the first warm mean in Indonesia: Sate skewers with a rich brown sauce and nasi putih (plain rice). I still have images of this meal in my mind, something like a short movie. For me it was the first time I felt I’m we were in another world, far away from everything, surrounded by poor but so friendly people.
Twenty-five years later at a pasar malam I enjoyed this dish with my children, my son was amazed by this dish and he wanted more and more.
I prepare this sometimes at home and the comment was: one of the best Asian dishes!
- 16 skewers
Meat and marinade:
- 500 g chicken breasts, cut into dices or long strips
- 4 tablespoon sweet dark soya sauce (Kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 100 g peanuts, fresh or roasted, finely chopped or grinded
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 150 ml coconut milk (some people use simply water instead)
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 5 tablespoons sweet dark soya sauce (Kecap manis), to taste
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Marinate the chicken with soya sauce, coriander and ginger for at least 2 hours.
- Place your skewers in water to soak at least one hour.
- In the meantime prepare all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat oil and fry garlic for 2 minutes, add quickly all the other ingredients. Cook stirring until sauce gets a thick consistence. If necessary adjust the taste with more soya sauce
- Prepare your skewers and grill until through.
- Serve immediately with the sauce.