Quick Cherry-Cinnamon Sherbet
This week I prepared a delicious light frozen dessert with part of the cherries I placed in the freezer this week. I decided to prepare this dessert as it is fast and today we had a real hot day.
I prepared this recipe with dairy products (yogurt and milk) and for this reason I called it sherbet.
To prepare a sorbet it’s easy: replace dairy products with fruit juice, wine, cold tea or water.
I did non add to much sugar as I got really sweet cherries, you can add more if you need or you can replace it with Stevia to reduce calories.
Cherries can be replaced by all kind of fruits and cinnamon with other spices or herbs (suggestion: nutmeg, grated ginger, mint, lavender…) adjust sugar or honey and liquids depending on the necessity.
If you freeze it for longer time, I found out that I place it shortly in the microwave (about 40 second for 1 kilogram/2 pounds sherbet) before serving.
Enjoy, the summer is approaching!
- 4 cups pitted dark sweet cherries, frozen
- 1/2 cup sugar (or more, depends on the cherries and your taste)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, if possible Greek style
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 -1/2 cup milk, quantity depends on how cold the frozen cherries are
- Combine cherries, sugar, yogurt and cinnamon to a strong food processor. Cover and pulse until it looks crumbly.
- While running, slowly add enough milk so it comes together into a smooth mixture. Check the sugar and add more (pulse then again) if you need.
Serve immediately if you like it on the softer side, or pour into a freezer container to solidify a little before serving.