Quark is a form of Central European soft cheese which is especially popular in Germany. For this recipes you can try to use light unsalted fresh cheese.
The dough is very thin and only a small quantity of fat is necessary for this cake.
In other words a healthy and good recipe.
- 125 g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 35 g sugar
- 70 g butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 500 g apricots, cut in half
- 4 eggs
- 500 g fat reduced Quark
- 100 g sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 40 g cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar for the top
- Powdered sugar to dust
- In a big bowl combine flour, salt and sugar. Cut in butter. Add milk and knead shortly only until assembled. Wrap with plastic and keep in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime your can prepare your apricots.
- Roll out the dough and place it in a greased 26 cm springform. You will need 3 cm borders for the filling. Place in the refrigerator until your filling is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Beat to stiff peaks the egg whites. Cream yolks with sugar until pale, add lemon zest and cornstarch. Add quark and mix until incorporated. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour half of the filling in the prepared crust. Line half of the apricots. Pour the second part of the filling and arrange the remaining apricots. Sprinkle with one tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until set and top light golden. Let cool down on a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.