Bombay Karachi Halwa – Microwave Recipe
Sometimes I’m missing Asia, I’m missing India. This halva recipe with the contrasting colors, the decoration, the smell and the taste is like a fast trip in Country of my dreams. Take a halwa in your mouth, close your eyes and dream!
Note: Cardamom and rose scent are very popular in Indian sweets, you could use also saffron and make yellow halwa.
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- cardamom powder to taste (or for second variation 1 tablespoon rose water)
- Food Color, optional
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups water
- Ghee or butter
- 1/3 cup Cashew Nuts, chopped (or for second variation almonds sheets)
- Chopped nuts or sugar pearls for decoration (or for second variation chopped dry red rose petals)
- Combine in a microwave safe bowl corn starch, sugar, cardamom powder, and food color.
- Stir well until well mixed.
- Add water and stir again until smooth and not lumpy.
- In a frying pan melt the ghee and roast the nuts.
- Microwave at maximum strength (about 1000 W) for 2 minutes. Stir shortly.
- Microwave for other 2 minutes at maximum strength stir well and add nuts, stir shortly again.
- Finally microwave for to more minute, give a stir and if it is not thick enough microwave for a few minutes.
- When the halwa is cooked, pour it in a greased mold, top with the reserved nuts.
- Let cool down completely before cutting into small square pieces.