This is very classic specialty from Emila-Romagna (Italy) easy to prepare, but for the preparation you will need a passatelli iron. Alternatives are pastry bags or better using a a potato ricer with the large-holed disk.
Try this simple, warming and very tasty soup!
Passatelli – Italian Bread and Parmesan Cheese Soup
- 100 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 g breadcrumbs, small
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lemons, zest only (optional)
- 1 1/2 liters broth, if possible homemade ( beef or hen broth with celery, carrots and leek)
- Place the bread crumbs, Parmesan, nutmeg and the lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and carefully mix together with your hands until it forms a soft dough-like consistency.
- The mixture should be like a wet dough, barely holding together.
- If it seems too stiff, add 1 tablespoon water or stock. If it’s too soft, add more breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Allow the dough to rest for approximately 20 minutes in a cool place.
- Once ready, put the dough in a food mill or ricer. Press to create short noodles (like little worms).
- Bring the meat stock to a boil and add the pasta. Once the passatelli have risen to the surface, they are ready to eat.
- Serve immediately.