Cherry Tomato Focaccia
Focaccia is a very tasty and easy to prepare flat bread. No special skills or machines are needed and the result is great.
I prepared the dough of the focaccia before going out (5 minutes work) and finished as we came home (5 minutes work +baking time) while I prepared dinner.
Tomatoes and rosemary are a great combination, but tomatoes, basil and garlic are delicious as well.
You can also use thyme or basil add some cheese and you have pizza-focaccia.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 3/4 cups water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 to 15 cherry tomatoes
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- sea salt (to taste)
- In a big bowl mix flour, salt and yeast.
- Add water and stir with the fork until adsorbed. You don’t need to knead.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil on the side wall of the bowl and with a spatula let glide the oil under the dough (so that it will not stick). Turn the dough, cover with a lid or a towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Fold and stretch the dough 3-4 times and add 2 tablespoon of olive oil again.
- Let rest until doubled (for best flavor let rest overnight).
- Punch down.
- Pour 2 tablespoon oil on a baking tray and place the dough on it.
- Stretch the dough by your hands to the size of about 30 to 40 cm (12 to 15 inches) and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/420°F.
- Cut tomatoes in two pieces and push tomatoes in the dough (skin side down).
- Make small indentations with your fingers and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the rosemary sprigs and sea salt.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack. Cut in pieces and serve warm.