Figs Compote in Wine with Orange
I like to try new recipes with the ingredients I have on hand, combining them to new creations. For this reason I prepared this dessert on Crete with fresh figs, local wine and a local delicious orange.
Serving suggestion: warm with vanilla ice-cream.
- 8 figs
- 120 ml wine (any kind)
- 60 g sugar
- 2 strips orange zest (of about ½ orange)
- 1/2 piece of cinnamon (about 5 cm/2 inches)
- 4 tablespoon orange juice
- Wash the figs gently, pat them dry and place them in small sauce pan.
- Add wine sugar, orange zest and cinnamon.
- Bring to boil and reduce the heat. Cover loosely and let simmer for 15 minutes flipping carefully over from time to time until the juice gets a syrup consistence.
- Add orange juice and bring shortly to (gently) boil. Not they are ready to serve with ice cream or, for serving them chilled or storing (you can prepare them in advance, switch off the heat and let sit until cooled down before placing them in the fridge.