Chinese Stir-Fried Water Spinach
This is another easy homes tile recipe from Shanghai, quick and easy and perfect for more fresh veggies dishes on your Chinese dinner.
Water spinach is also known as water morning glory. This has numerous ways of preparation, but a simple and quick stir-fry, either plain or with minced garlic, is probably the most common.
You can prepare this dish using fresh greens you have on hand (I used fresh young chard from the garden) and it will be delicious as well!
- 500 g fresh water spinach ((or chard or common spinach)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted sesame oil, optional
- 1 pinch monosodium glutamate
- Trim and wash well the spinach. I wash it always twice.
- Heat 2/3 of the oil in a wide skillet, add spinach and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and monosodium glutamate.
- Stir and add remaining vegetable oil.
- Stir shortly again and serve