Halloween Dinner for 4
19Days of planning, collecting ideas and material, a few hours in the kitchen and finally our dinner is ready and the table decorated.
My family really loved this dinner not only for the colors and decoration, but the food as well.
I spent some time after dinner checking the photos and prepare for this post. If you like, I will post the recipes as well.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes purèe
- 1 egg yolk
- Prepare potatoes pure and stir in the egg yolk.
- Pipe potatoes close together into 2 1/2- to 3-inch-high pointed mounds to form “‘ghosts” and garnish each mound with 2 seeds for “eyes.”
Recipe by Annacia on http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/side-potatoes/potato-ghosts.html
Frogg Egg Tropic Drink
- mixed tropic fruit juice
- sparkling water
- Fill half of each glass with tropic drink (maracuja, mango and/or orange).
- Complete with sparkling water.
- Scoop fresh maracuja on top.
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 5 tabelspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger juice (grate two tablespoons ginger and press out the juice)
- water until you get 2/3 of cup
- gelatine (for example agar-agar)
- Prepare a brown salad dressing combining the ingredients and add water until you get 2/3 of cup. Add gelatine (I used agar-agar) in the corresponding quantity necessy to form a firm jelly.
- Take a glass and place in stroh
- Bring the mixture to boil stirring.
- Chill until lukewarm, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length cut into two pieces and place tightly in a cup.
- Carefully pour liquid into cup with straws, liquid will fill straws.
- Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours.
- Remove straws form cup and brush with cold water to remove gelatin of the outside of the straws.
- Push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers.
- Serve as fried worms or mix them with green salad.
Spider Cherry Quark Cake
- 125 g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 35 g sugar
- 70 g butter or margarine
- 1 EL milk
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 4 eggs
- 500 g fat reduced Quark
- 100 g sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 40 g cornstarch
- Yellow and red food coloring (or orange if you have)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1-2 teaspoon brandy
- In a big bowl combine flour, salt and sugar. Cut in butter. Add milk and knead shortly only until assembled. Wrap with plastic and keep in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and place it in a greased 26 cm springform. You will need 3 cm borders for the filling. Place in the refrigerator until your filling is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Beat to stiff peaks the egg whites. Cream yolks with sugar until pale, add lemon zest and cornstarch. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Divide cream into two portions and color one of the portion with food coloring until you get a nice orange.
- Pour white cream half of the filling in the prepared crust. Line with frozen cherries. Pour the second orange colored part of the filling.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until set and top light golden. Let cool down on a wire rack.
- Mix ingredients for the decorations adding the brandy slowly until you get a smooth but not too liquid paste. Transfer the chocolate sauce into a plastic bag, cut out an edge and pipe the decoration.
- Add more powdered sugar to the remaining chocolate paste until you get something like a play dough. Form a spider and place it on the cake.
- 12 white champignons
- 4-6 pitted green olives
- 1 teaspoon black olive paste¨
- Red food coloring for decorations on cakes (for writing)
- In a pot bring water to boil.
- In the meantime remove stem of the champignons.
- Add champignons to water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Transfer champignons on a plate and let cool down completely.
- If necessary dry the caps with a towel and paint them with red colors making strips as blood vessels.
- Slice the olives and place a slice on each cap.
- Fill the center of each cup with black olive paste.
Note: you can use mini mozzarella instead of mushrooms (don’t boil them)
Sauce for Eyes Stew
Blend you favorite tomatoes sauce or prepare a shakshuka without eggs as in https://artandkitchen.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/shakshuka-poached-eggs-in-spicy-tomatoes/
Blent it shortly. Serve hot with „Green Eyes“
Cheesy Witch Fingers
- 1 1/2 cups flour (little more to knead)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mozzarella, grated¨
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Nails and deco:
- 12 almonds
- Food coloring
- Blackberry jam
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough and knead until soft. Let rise 30 minutes.
- In the meantime pour hot water on almonds, let sit a few minutes, drain, remove peel, and dived into two halves.
- Form fingers (make strings), press one half almond at the end of the string forming the nail. With a knife make incision for the skin.
- With a brush paint nails with food coloring.
- Dip the base of the finger in the jam simulating clotted blood.
- Let rise only short (15 minutes) and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C until light brown for about 15-20 minutes.
- 300 g carrots
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Salt and honey to taste
- Place carrot in a pot, cover with water and boil until carrots are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain, add orange juice and mustard. Blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and honey to taste, blend shortly again
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 12 Mint leaves
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon brandy, or to taste
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- Place peas in a pot, all little water and boil until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Drain, add mint and broth. Blend until smooth.
- Season with brandy, pepper and salt to taste, blend shortly again