Ceviche is very popular dish in Peru mostly with raw fish as main ingredient. You can find many variations of this dish with many different kinds of additional ingredients. This is a vegetarian version!
Quite unusual is the use of mushrooms as main ingredient, but the procedure is the same and you can get a delicious light vegetarian/vegan salad to serve as starter.
- 1 package champignons mushroom (250 g), washed and sliced
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Salt to taste
- Lettuce leaves
- One sweet potato or yam sliced, boiled (not to soft) and sliced
- One avocado, sliced pulp
Suggestion for optional ingredients:
- Place mushrooms over a colander and pour hot water over them. As alternative e you can fry them in a very hot skillet until lightly golden for a few minutes.
- Let cool down.
- In the meantime soak onions slices in very cold water to make them milder for about 10 minutes. Then drain well.
- In bowl marinate the champignons and onions with lime juice, olive oil, chili, cilantro and pepper for about 15 minutes.
- Just before serving remove part of the liquid (if too much is produced) and season with Worcestershire sauce and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately over a bed of lettuce/sweet potato/yam/avocado.