Hot White Chocolate Inspiration
I created this recipe as a combination of two hot beverage I had the pleasure to enjoy at the same around the square of Monastiraki in Athens in late winter and early spring season.
The first beverage is called Sahlep (or σαλέπι, Sahlepi, Sahleb, Sahlab, salop); the main ingredient of this delish is the bulb of an orchid and a very popular beverage in the lands of the former Ottoman Empire. The addition of cinnamon make this drink ever more enjoyable.
The second drink we enjoyed was a hot white chocolate in one of the pubs of the square.
The result is a think milk beverage, spiced with cinnamon and refined with white chocolate.
And the orchid bulb? Well, we prefer let them grow were they are and preserve them from the extinction.
More information about Sahlep:
- 1 cup dried coffee creamer
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons glutinous rice powder
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavored sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom optional
- 200 g grated white chocolate
For one cup of hot beverage
- 1/2 cup water (or milk)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dry mixture
- cinnamon to dust and/or whipped cream
To prepare the dry mix
- In a big bowl combine all the dry mentioned ingredients. This is now you base for your drink. Store it in tight containers.
To prepare one cup of hot beverage
- Combine water, milk and dry mixture stirring well in a saucepot or a microwave safe bowl.
- You can heat it in a saucepot or simply with the microwave.
- Bring to boil stirring from time to time until it becomes thick.
- Serve in a cup topped with whipped cream or dusted with cinnamon.