Buhteljni – Slovenian Sweet Dumplings
Buhteljni are sweet dumplings made of yeast dough, filled with jam, ground poppy seed, raisins or curd and baked in a large pan so that they stick together. After baking they are topped powdered sugar or eaten plain and warm.
I prepared these once with homemade dough and a second time with ready dough for Danish pastry.
Dough (or ready made Danish pastry dough)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk, warm but not hot
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 g instant dry yeast
- 4 -4 ½ cups flour
- marmalade, Jam, Nutella, poppy seeds filling, dried fruits ( soft kind)
- 1 -2 tablespoon melted butter
- powdered sugar
- Food processor method: Combine all ingredients for the dough at once and work until smooth.
- By hand in a big bowl: Stir together sugar, egg, milk, margarine, honey and salt. Add yeast and stir well again until dissolved. Now add half of flour and stir again with a wooden spoon. Add rest of flour and work with your hand until smooth (I do it in the bowl).
- Cover dough with a towel and let rise until doubled (It takes about 1 1/2 hours).
- Work the dough again and roll it out into a rectangle of 12 to 15 inches.
- Cut into 20 small squares of 3 to 3 inches (4 to 5 pieces).
- Place 1/2-1 teaspoon filling on each square (I like to place different ones) and pinch together the opposite angles forming a package
- Transfer the packages on a deep greased baking tray or mold living some space of about 1/3 inch between each other
- Brush with melted butter and let rise about 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake until golden brown for about 25 minutes at 375°F.
- Take out of the oven. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm or cold.