Cut out sugar cookies are among the favorite Christmas cookies. Use your favorite cutter shapes to prepare these cookies and decorate them with glaze, sprinklers, sugar pearls and whatever you like.
For soft Christmas cookies add the baking powder, for shapes with more details I suggest to leave it out.
The baking time depends on the size and form how think you roll out the dough. Mines were 3-4 mm (1/8 inch) thick and needed 10 minutes in an air forced oven at 190°C/350°F.
- 300 g butter (1 ¼ cup) butter
- 300 g sugar (1 ½ cup) sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla (I used vanilla sugar)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoons bitter almond extract or other flavors (I loved it with cardamom powder), optional
- 550 g flour (4 ½ cups), add more if necessary
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, if your opt soft cookies
- Sugar pearls, sugar glaze, sprinklers for decoration, optional to taste
- Process butter with the food processor or hand blender until soft and fluffy.
- Add sugar and vanilla, process for other 4 minutes.
- Add 2 egg and flavoring process again until incorporated.
- Add sieved flour and sieved baking powder process until it comes together; if necessary scrape down dough from walls with a spatula. If the dough is too soft add little more flour until it is a better consistency for rolling.
- Dived the dough into two portions and roll using little flour it out (3-4 mm thick) on a silicon mat or on a baking sheet.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. This is necessary for better cutting out the cookies.
- Cut out the cookies and place them on a prepared (I use silicon mats) baking tray 2-3 cm (1 inch) apart.
- Assemble the rest dough, roll it out again. If possible chill it again 5 minutes in the freezer or work quickly.
- Now you can add some sprinklers or do it after baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F until borders begin to change color.
- Decorate after cooling.