Michi’s Party Lemon Cake
This is a refreshing and moist cake and it’s perfect for parties especially if you play with the colors.
I also made muffins with this mixture (baking time about 20 minutes), but I love it better as cake after slicing. J
The cake is really very moist, don’t forget to make the test before taking it out of the oven.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, Balkan style
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemons, zest only
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (1 envelope)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- food coloring (optional)
- 1 lemon juice (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- With the food processor mix yogurt and margarine until creamy.
- Beat in 1 1/4 cup the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add lemon peel, flour, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Blend at low speed just until thoroughly blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide butter in several portions and add desired food coloring. I prepared a red a green and a neutral portion.
- Pour batter into generously greased 10-inch Bundt or tube pan. Layering the batter of the different colors.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until through (toothpick test).
- Combine lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Pour over hot cake, allowing it to run down edges between cake and pan.
- Cool down completely then remove it from the mold.
- In the meantime prepare the glaze with the reserved juice add in so much powdered sugar until creamy and very dense.
- Pour glaze over the cake and spread it to cover the top.
- Slice the cake; every slice will look different!