Apple and Pomegranate Upside-Down Cake
For this month I decided to post for my friends a recipe with pomegranate.
Most of recipes I saw ask for ready mixes as “yellow cake mix” or “pudding mix” but as a convinced “make it yourself” chef I found that the easiest way for me is to convert my upside down cake recipe to an easy and versatile recipe for many kind of fruits. The basic ingredients for the batter of the cake are always the same (always on hand) and the fruit topping can be changed according to the season.
I still have plenty of apples from the garden and a so I had to buy only a beautiful pomegranate fruit.
To seed the pomegranate: cut the skin horizontally, brake the fruit, loose slightly the skin without braking, invert on a bowl and tap with a wooden spoon.
For baking I used a springform as it’s easier to invert and remove the bottom of the mold without destroying the fruits arrangement. In an alternative you can use a mold and invert carefully.
- 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place the sliced apples in a bowl with the brandy to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place the butter in a round springform (baking mold with removable border) or in another baking pan of 14-26 cm (9-10 inches) until when melted sprinkle with the sugar.
- In the meantime seed the pomegranate.
- Take the mold out of the oven and arrange apple slices like a flower and leaving the center free.
- Fill the center with pomegranate seed. The excess seeds can be used for decoration.
- For the cake batter beat the butter with the sugar and the vanilla sugar until well blended. Add eggs one by one and beating until very soft.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and milk (add brandy from the marinade if still any). Beat until you get a creamy heavy mixture.
- Pour batter over the apples and spread it with a spatula to cover the fruits.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F for about 30 minutes or until done (toothpick test).
- Let rest for about 15 minutes, remove the border of the mold, invert on a serving plate and remove the bottom using a spatula if necessary.
- Spread remaining pomegranate seeds around the cake and serve warm or cold.