This quick tart Tatin looks like a jewel! The only a few ingredients and you get a wonderful tart which can be prepared with frozen fruit as in my case with frozen apricots. Our small apricots were perfect for this recipe, but I’m sure I could prepare this with fresh figs (eventually sliced) perhaps spiced with cinnamon as well. In this sense this recipe should be simply a suggestion, you can adapt it to the fruits available as well as herbs (savory, thyme, rosemary, lavender, sage…).
For a 26 cm/1o inch mold double the ingredients!
You need (for a 18cm/ 7 inch mold)
- 250-300 g fresh apricots (with skin, de-stoned and cut in half)
- 50 g sugar (depends from sweetness of fruits)
- 20 g butter, for the caramel
- 1/2 lemon zest, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh savory leaves
- 2 sheets of filo pastry
- 20 g melted butter, for the filo pastry sheets
- Place sugar and butter into the ceramic mold under the broiler. Broil until browned.
- Remove from the oven, switch oven to normal heat at 180°C (not broiler!) and quickly add in the apricot halves (cut side-down).
- Scatter 2/3 of lemon zest and savory leaves. With the spoon try to push them in-between apricots. Note: You cannot add zest and savory prior apricots as they would burn and turn black.
- Let it bubble for 5-8 minutes on a medium heat. Note: if you use frozen apricots, reduce to 2 minutes as they would be mush.
- Prepare the 2-4 whole rounds (letting little more for border) of filo, you will use the cutouts first.
- Remove from the oven on top of the apricots the filo cutouts and filo rounds, brushing every layer with the melted butter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the filo is a deep golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool down about 10 minutes.
- Turn the tart upside down into a heat-proof serving plate on top of the mold face side-down and flip. Now the plate is resting on your counter surface. When you lift the skillet the apricots of the tart Tatin will be on top.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and just before serving scatter with reserved lemon zest and savory leaves!