I don’t know how many times we made this tart! Last weekend (Valentin day) my husband surprised me preparing this tart, the best strawberry tart per excellence I know!
More than 15 years ago, as I bought this mold in a Swiss supermarket, I found this precious recipe in the packaging instructions for the mold itself and the special selection of the ingredients with ginger, sesame seeds and sesame oil attracted my attention and I’m more than glad I made the experiment.
The size of the mold? We use hearth shaped fresh fruits tart mold 27 cm wide and 27 long (about 10 inches). This tart mold has a special shape: the bottom is raised in the center, producing a special shaped shell with an indentation. Invert the shell and fill with cream and fresh fruits.
Strawberry Tart - Cuor die Fragola
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine, to grease the mold
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon ( only peel grated)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, dark quality
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 5 slices ginger ( very thin)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon agar, powder ( or 1/2-1 tablespoon additional cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 ounces strawberries ( or other berries if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon jelly powder or 1/2 cup homemade fruit jelly
- Grease your mold with butter or margarine and coat well with sesame seeds.
- Preheat the oven at 340 °F /175°C (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- Blend egg, water and sugar until foamy.
- Add grated lemon peel and sesame oil.
- Mix well.
- Add sifted flour and sifted baking powder to the egg mix and incorporate gently.
- Pour the batter in the mold and bake 25 minutes at 340°F (175°C).
- Let cool down 15 minutes, remove from the mold and place it on your cake plate.
- Prepare your strawberries cleaning them and cutting each one in 2 pieces.
- Boil the milk with the ginger.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile mix together eggs, sugar, cornstarch, agar and vanilla.
- Remove the ginger from the milk and incorporate the ginger-flavored milk.
- Heat again in a pot stirring continuously until it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Spread the cream (still warm but not hot) on the cake base and arrange the strawberries on it.
- Prepare the jelly according packaging description or melt the homemade jelly.
- Brush the jelly on the strawberries.
- Cool down completely and serve.