We enjoyed this trout ceviche with orange juice in the region of Cusco and as usual after our vacations I need to reproduce some of the dishes which impressed me most at home for a smoother change to our routine and to dream further. Dream we are still there, sitting in that places, looking around, smelling the specialties, admiring the colors, listening to the voices… Please let us dream!
This dish will be the first of my Peruvian collection; I prepared this simply for us but I will be glad to share this with our friends and guest as well. I will bring this dish further, it will travel with me not only in my mind but it will find I place in Greece and impress our friends with this dish made of fresh high quality Cretan products as the best oranges of the world, the best olive oil and fresh fish (will use another kind of fish according the what I will get best)!
Trucha, or trout in English, are found throughout the waters of Andean Peru but are not a native species. This Rainbow Trout were introduced from Canada in order to provide poor Andean communities with a much needed boost of protein in their diets.
This fishes have not only survived, but thrived in many places across the country providing good and rich food to the population and for this reason you will find them in most of Andean restaurants.
In this way we have to opportunity to enjoy fresh ceviche not only near Peruvian coast.
We noticed that in Peru ceviche is served very fresh, the marinating time was reduce to minimum time and the fish flesh looked sometimes completely “raw”. I suggest to adapt marinating time the size (how thick) of the slices/bites on the kind of the fish and of course on your taste!
For additional information about marinating time check: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/07/the-food-lab-ceviche-and-the-science-of-marin.html
Trout Ceviche with Orange Juice
- 150 g very fresh (sushi-grade) fish, such Rainbow Trout or other similar fish
- 1 lime, fresh juice
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
- 1 small orange
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lime wedges and additional cilantro leaves, for serving
- Cut the fish into slices and arrange them on a dish.
- Combine in a bowl the lime juice, peppers, onions, and garlic, pour over the fish.
- Peel a strip of orange peel with the veggie peeler and cut to julienne.
- Scatter the zest and the cilantro over the fish.
- Cover and refrigerate as long as desired.
- Blend orange juice with it pulp and an additional small piece of zest and place in a small bowl.
- Add to the bowl the olive oil, and salt and combine well.
- Just before serving pour the orange sauce over the ceviche and garnish with reserved coriander leaves and lime wedges.