Torta di Pane – Traditional Bread Pudding from Ticino (Switzerland)
Torta di Pane – Traditional Bread Pudding form Ticino (Switzerland)
This is the most popular rustic dessert recipe of Ticino the Italian speaking part of Switzerland.
You will find it at the local festivals, in bakeries and almost each family has their recipes.
I did not prepare this cake from ages! The reason? I almost don’t have stale bread in my house as I freeze the leftovers or I dry them for to prepare breadcrumbs. I really wanted to share this recipe as the pudding is delicious and I hope no bread will throw away as food and especially bread is something a little bit like “sacred” for me; I think many of you know what I mean and feel the same.
I don’t want to give you a fix recipe, the ingredients usually used are the ingredients you have on hand and it’s a wonderful way to use stale bread.
This recipe can be very simple with the addition of only a few ingredients, but can be turned into a luxury recipe with high content of dried fruits and chocolate.
The basic ingredients are stale bread, milk, sugar citrus zest (grated or candied), egg and pine nuts, for the other ingredients I will simply add the note “optional”.
- 300 g stale bread, diced
- 1 liter milk, hot
- 5 amaretti, optional
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 150-200 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered cacoa
- 200 g raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
- 50 g candied orange, minced
- 50 g candied lemon zest, minced
- 20 ml grappa (a grape-based pomace brandy), optional
- 1 handful pine nuts
- Butter to grease
- Place bread into a big bowl, pour hot milk over it and let soak for at least 4 hours stirring from time to time.
- Mash the bread with the wooden spoon or with your hands.
- Add all the other ingredients except pine nuts and butter
- Grease you mold (if round about 25 cm wide), pour mixture in it and spread pine nuts over the batter.
- Bake at medium-low temperature (160°C) for about 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let cool down completely before cutting.