This tasty, fragrant and light soup is so good that you will make this again!
The first time we had this delicious soup was in Sihanoukville in Cambodia in a small restaurant called “Rose’s place” and where it is called Somlaw/Somlor Machu Youn.Similar versions of this soup are known in Vietnam where this is called Canh Chua Thom Nau Ca.
Notes of a simplified version of this soup taken during our vacation in 2004: Heat chicken stock, add pineapples chunks and sliced cabbage. Let boil for 5 minutes, add fish and season with sweet Asian basil, fresh cilantro and sawtooth cilantro.
Guide to Cambodian/Khmer herbs: http://www.asian-recipe.com/cambodia/cambodian-khmer-ingredients.html
This is the version I would like to propose you now!
Cambodian Fish and Pineapple Soup
- 6-8 cups water
- 5-10 Asian basil leaves, or to taste
- 3 kaffir leaves, optional
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves chopped,
- Saw leaf herb, optional if you can find it!
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon grass stick, trimmed and make cuts lengthways (alternative some leaves of lemon verbena)
- 1/2 tablespoon galanga, thinly sliced (substitute 1/2 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced), optional
- 2 tablespoon tamarind paste dissolved with hot water (substitute 1 lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetal oil
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 500-700 g cat fish or other white fish fillets such as ling, blue eye or snapper, diced in 2 cm pieces
- 12 shrimps (about 250 g), optional or more fish
- 3 cups pineapple, diced (about ½ small ripe sweet pineapple)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- Fish sauce to taste (light soy sauce)
- chili peppers and ground black peppers, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar or to taste (substitute brown sugar)
- Bring water with chicken stock concentrate to boil, add kaffir leaves, cilantro, saw leaf herb, green onion, lemon grass, galanga and tamarind to boil. Simmer for at least 10 mnutes
- In the meantime heat the oil and fry garlic as well as fish and shrimps.
- Add to the stock the stir fried fish and shrimps.
- Add pineapple and tomatoes.
- Season with fish sauce, chili peppers, pepper and sugar.
- Cook covered for 2 minutes.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls or soup dishes and serve garnished with herbs.