Are you looking for a vegetarian preparation for the BBQ or a grill party? What about some veggie burgers?
We have a suggestion for your, something that not only vegetarians will love!
For this preparation I used the mushrooms I found in the shop: white mushrooms and chanterelles but also cremini, shiitake, portabella, oyster, trumpet and many more would work as well.
I recommend not to chop the mushrooms with the food processor (or at least only shortly) as this would affect the structure.
This recipe makes a dozen of small burgers or 6 medium ones. I served them with a homemade BBQ sauce with yellow peppers addition.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 500 g white mushrooms, finely diced
- 250 g chanterelles mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons BBQ spices (I recommend some Tex-Mex rub)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional breadcrumbs as needed
- Additional oil for your hand and for the frying pan if desired
- The first step is to have your ingredients ready.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-sticky skillet and fry the onions only until just translucent.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and fry until fragrant and all the liquid produced by the mushrooms is adsorbed and they look quite dry.
- Transfer the fried mushrooms and onions into a bowl and add all the ingredients except of the last two tablespoons olive oil. Combine well and adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- If the mix is too humid add some more breadcrumbs.
- At this point the mixture should hold its shape if pressed to flatten balls (patties). To do that grease your hand with little oil and spoon the mixture into your hand. This is the easiest way for me.
- Some people like them coated with additional breadcrumbs to form a crust, this makes them easier for grilling. For the frying pan I think that this is not necessary and the breadcrumbs would adsorb more oil.
- Let the patties rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Grill them on high heat for about 5 minutes per side until golden brown or spray a non-sticky skillet with oil and fry them on both sides.
- Use the burgers as filling for bread or serve them as they are on the dish with other side dishes or salads