Pico de gallo (sometimes also called Mexican sauce) is the classic raw Tex-Mex sauce served with Tortilla chips as dipping sauce m but as well to be served with burritos or tacos.
Tomatoes are mandatory and other important additions are onions, fresh coriander (cilantro), lemon juice and chili.
From this recipe I like the freshness combined with the hot touch!
Pico de Gallo – Quick Red Raw Tomatoes Salsa
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and lime juice to taste
Additional diced ingredients (optional):
- Minced garlic
- Diced peppers (any colors: jellow, orange, red or green)
- Spring or green onions
- Serrano peppers
- Grated lime peel
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and toss well.
- Adjust to taste with lime juice and salt