From time to time I prepare a paella with rice but last year during my vacations in Andalusia I saw paellas with pasta as well. Finally, after about one year, I decided to try this with risoni (orzo pasta) and now I know that this is wonderful variation that merits to be taken in consideration for every kind of paella as well.
I prepared this form scratch with the ingredients I had on hand and the result was fantastic!
Risoni Paella with Shrimps and Artichokes
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup risoni (orzo pasta), o other small pasta
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- Smoked paprika, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup of frozen peas or frozen green beans (if using green beans add them already with the stock!)
- 1 small can of artichokes hearts, quartered
- 12-16 shrimps
- Heat olive oil in a wide non-sticky skillet and fry onion and red pepper until onions are translucent.
- Add risoni and roast for a few minutes.
- Add wine and cook until adsorbed.
- Add chicken broth, saffron and paprika and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer stirring from time to time.
- After 10 minutes add peas, stir. Add salted water or little white wine if during cooking time all the liquid is adsorbed and the dish would turn too dry.
- Just before pasta is cooked (cooking time depends from the kind and size of the pasta) arrange artichokes and shrimps.
- Cover and cook until pasta is done and shrimps turn pink and are done.