Traveling is my main source of inspiration and this sauce had been ispired form the Indian dish Gajar ka raita (Carrot with yogurt) we had the chance to try years ago in north India.
Having good plain yogurt always on hand and not being a mayo friend yogurt sauces became my favorite quick sauces; they are light, fresh and very versatile. Traveling from Greece to India we can find many different kind of them, starting for example with the Greek Tzatziki.
I can’t call this this sauce “carrot raita” as it’s a very simplified version of it, but we loved this crunchy and refreshing one very much.
Carrot and Ginger Yogurt Sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetal oil
- 1-2 teaspoons black mustard seeds (optional, this time I did not use this)
- 1 pinch of cumin ground (whole is fine as well, but in this case fry it with the mustard together)
- 1 pinch of garam masala ground
- 1 pinch coriander ground
- 1/2 cup of strained plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon red onions, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- If you like to use the mustard seeds heat oil in a small skillet and fry mustard seed until they start splattering. Remove from heat and until hot add the spices (cumin, garam masala and coriander), stir.
- In a medium bowl whisk yogurt and carrots together.
- Press out juice from ginger through a sieve or simply pressing the grated ginger in your hand. Press it directly in the yogurt mix.
- Mix now everything together.
- For decoration I reserved little carrots, onion and ginger, but seed are great as well.
- Chill until serving.