This versatile recipe is a simple way to prepare light appetizers to be served hot or cold with only a few ingredients. In my project I supposed to use only my white eggplants and serve them with something like a bruschetta topping, but as I saw the small Zucchini and I had tomatoes leftovers I made a second warm variation which was surprisingly delicious and simple as well as cute.
I prefer not to give specific quantities as this depends on the size of the eggplants and on your taste.
Hot or Cold Grilled Eggplants or Zucchini Appetizers
- Eggplants or Zucchini
- Olive oil
- Garlic, crushed
- Ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mozzarella (mini mozzarella, mozzarella slices or shredded one)
- Slice Eggplants in 5 millimeters slices and place them in a big bowl, sprinkle little olive oil and the garlic over them. Toss with your hands.
- Halve the tomatoes and remove seeds and liquid. Dice them into 2-5 millimeter pieces.
- Chop basil, add to the chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chopped tomatoes on a sieve over a bowls while grilling.
- Grill you vegetables in a grilling pan, under the broiler or on the BBQ on both sides.
- For the cold version: place the grilled vegetables on a dish, cover with the drained tomatoes and top with mozzarella.
- For the hot version: place the slices in single portions baking molds, cover with the drained tomatoes and top with mozzarella. Bake at high temperature or place under the broiler until mozzarella is melted and begins to turn golden.