Mini Bacon Quiches
This very special variation of the classic mini bacon quiche is perfect for parties consists in the addition of savory and mustard paste. The savory is optional and depends from the season, but the mustard gives a special touch as it fits perfectly with the flavor of the bacon.
Depending on the size of the sheet you will be able to make 12-16 small (6 cm) quiches, I prefer to suggest simply to have a look of the sheet and see how you can cut in squares. Remember for big squares you will need more filling than for small ones. Don’t overfill the squares as the filling will puff during baking.
Inspired by http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/cheese-appetizer/mini-swiss-quiches.html?p=6
Mini Bacon Quiches
- 1 sheet puff pastry, refrigerated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh savory (to be added with the nutmeg, optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut the puff pastry into 12-16 squares that fits with your muffin baking mold. Remember that you will need the border to prevent filling running out. For this I stretched the squares (one by one) from the middle of the side of them in order to get a rounder shape. Place the squares in the greased baking mold trying to cover the borders.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- In a non-sticky skillet fry onion with bacon until translucent, add flour and fry shortly and remove from heat
- In a small cup combine savory, milk, eggs, nutmeg, mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 3/4 of the cheese, stir.
- Add bacon- onion mixture to the liquid and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture in the baking mold prepared with the puff pastry.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 25-30 until golden. With my oven I found that it in convenient to increase the temperature to 200°C/400°F (or little more) during the last 10 minutes but heating only form the bottom.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown, wait 5 minutes before removing from the mold.