Crème De Menthe – Mint Liqueur
It’s still summer and the mint is growing well and it’s time to make some preserves or to prepare this special liquor. For this recipe you may use peppermint or other kind of aromatic mints. I opted for the chocolate mint! Chocolate mint is a great peppermint with distinct chocolate overtones. This useful mint plant will add an extra sensory delight when infused into coffee or hot chocolate.
I noticed that after combining the alcoholic part and the syrup after 24 hours I this was little turbid. For this reason I filtered this once again.
This can be served with ice cubes and soda water, but I personally preferred this as topping on whipped cream on coffee.
I hope this will make my family and my guest happy!
Crème De Menthe
- 750 milliliters vodka
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 2 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Place the first cup of mint in a bowl and pound it a few times with your hands in order to release the aromatic oils of the leaves.
- Add vodka and cover to soak overnight.
- Combine in a small pot the water, the sugar and the additional 1/2 cup of mint. Bring to boils by low heat stirring constantly. Continue to stir until sugar is dissolved add a few drops green color if desired. Place the pot in a big bowls with cold water to cool down (don’t let water come
- inside of the pot with the syrup).
- Strain out mint leaves from the vodka and do the same with the syrup.
- Combine infused vodka with infused syrup.
- Now the crème de menthe is ready to be used for your cocktails or to be used to for several desserts.