Today inspiration were beets. These wonderful reddish roots are available fresh or already boiled. With a handful of ingredients I created an exotic dish and I found a way to use the same ingredients for different steps.
For examples the beets and roots, were used for the soup but also to create crispy chips as addition to the soup. The coconut milk gives to the soup a delicious taste but I also used some to fry the onion and finally also for the topping.
So we are, here my recipe suggestion.
Beet Soup with Veggie Chips
- 500 g beets, peeled eventually already cooked
- 300 g potatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 big onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 cups concentrated broth
- Cut 1/3 of the roots (beets and potatoes) into thin (about 2 mm) slices and place in the oven at 200°C/400°F on a single layer on a parchment paper. Bake turning from time to time to dry. Remove the dried sliced and set aside. Note: you may also dry a few slices of onion.
- In the meanwhile pour 3 tablespoons coconut milk in a non-sticky skillet, heat to reduce the water content and add the diced onions and ginger to “fry” turning frequently until light browned.
- Dice rest of beets and potatoes and place them into a pot along with the broth and bring to simmer. As soon as the onions are done add them to the pot.
- Simmer at low temperature until potatoes are soft.
- Puree using the hand blender.
- Reserve about 2 tablespoons coconut milk and add this to the soup, stir gently and serve immediately.
- Decorate the dishes with the reserved coconut milk and roots chips