Looking for easy Christmas cookies I came across several recipes of cranberry swirls made by hand and using fresh cranberries.
I tried to adapt the recipes using dried cranberries and making the work easier using the food processor in order to make the preparation easy and quick. The refrigerating time is necessary to set the dough, please don’t skip this!
The sweet tangy taste of these cookies combined with the orange aroma makes from these a great Christmas gift thread!
Variation: if you like you can try to add a pinch of ground spices as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, star anise and cardamom! I think next time I will try with a pinch of star anise!
Cranberry and Orange Swirls
- 100 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 220 g flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 g dried cranberries
- 50 g candied orange
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, optional for more taste
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- About 3 tablespoons milk
- Glitters, optional (pink or red are very nice for this cookies)
- Work with the food processor butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until soft and fluffy.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and work until well combined.
- Flatten the dough to a rectangle of about 10 to 15 cm, wrap in foil and refrigerate for one hour.
- Place cranberried, candied orange and orange zest in the food process and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add honey and the first tablespoon milk. Pulse until combined. Add gradually milk until you see that you could spread the mixture with a spatula. Should not be running!
- Dust your surface with flour, place the dough over this and dust the dough as well. Roll out to the size of 40 to 25 cm.
- Spread the fruit mixture over this, but let 3 cm of the long border free.
- Roll up tightly and carefully from the long side to form a roll.
- Wrap the roll and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or better overnight,
- Remove the foil and roll the roll over colored glitters.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Cut into 5 mm thick slices (mine were 5 wide) and place over two prepared baking trays prepared with parchment foil. Between each piece you will need about 3 cm space as they will spread out.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or just until you see that the edges begins to turn light brown. Mines resulted 6 cm wide.
- Let cool down completely on a wire rack before storing them in tight containers!