I created these decorative crackers to be served with an impressive red hummus and other dips I’ve posted before. Both recipes can be prepared in advance and are perfect to be served as appetizer with crackers or pita bread.
I prepared humus with fresh beets, but if you are running out of time I can imagine that it is possible to prepare this with vacuumed boiled beets. You can adapt the spices to your taste!
This impressive red hummus can be prepared in advance and is perfect to be served as appetizer with crackers or pita bread. I prepared this with fresh beets, but if you are running out of time I can imagine that it is possible to prepare this with vacuumed boiled beets.
You can adapt the spices to your taste!
- 200 g white flour
- 60 g whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch instant yeast
- 40 g olive oil
- 1/2 baking powder
- 1/4 salt
- 100 ml water or milk
- Additional salt for topping, optional (see step 3)
- Knead all the ingredients tougher until you get a smooth dough. Cover and let rest for about 1 hour in a warm place. During this time the yeast will begin to form small bubbles.
- Make two portions and roll out (2 mm thick or thinner) the first portion.
- Note: You can add more salt spreading some on the sheet and pressing this in with the rolling pin.
- Cut out pieces with your favorite shape or cut out in rectangles and place them on a parchment foil. Repeat with the second half. Now you can combine the leftovers and add a teaspoon water to make the dough smooth and cut out again. Repeat until the dough is finished.
- Pinch the pieces with a fork a few times.
- Preheat the oven and bake for about 10 minutes at 180°C or until the borders begins to turn light brown. Let cool down on a grid to dry completely.
Roasted Beet and Chickpeas Hummus
- 2 small beets, or one big one
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (to coat the beets
- 1 can (400 grams/14 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini, substitute: roasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Green decoration: chopped pistachios, mint leaves or parsley, optional
- Peel the beets und cut into chunks coat with 1 teaspoon with olive oil. Spread the chunks in a baking tray. Place the beets under the broiler until the borders begins to brown. Remove immediately form the oven.
- Add remaining ingredients except for salt, pepper and olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt, lemon juice or olive oil if needed. If it’s too thick, add a bit more water.
- Transfer to nice bowl, drizzle with olive oil and decorate with your green selection just before serving!