Zuppa di Pesce allo Zafferano – Soupe de Poisson with Saffron
The French “soupe de poisson” is very famous and popular not only in France since in Italy, Spain and Croatia.
The original fish soup was prepared should be prepared with different kind of fish and seafood using the head, shells and fish bones for the fish stock first.
In our case I used what I had in the freezer: calamari, shrimps and fish filets; please free to change the kind and the quantities of the fish/seafood.
The shrimps were already deveined, but shell on: I remove the shell and used it for the basic fish broth.
The stomach of the calamari had been removed, I used the body and the tentacles for the soup but I used the other part of the head (I removed the eyes first! for the basic fish broth as well.
No fish heads were available, but I found that it could work without them.
I used vegetables give flavor and thickness to the soup.
We enjoyed this soup with homemade bread and skordalia (Greek potatoes and garlic spread).
Note: if you don’t have fish bones… use a fish stock, you will need to cook the veggies (step 8) for only about 20 minutes or until done.
Zuppa di Pesce allo Zafferano - Soupe de Poisson with Saffron
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Shells, heads …
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled whole
- 1 glass white wine
- 4 cups of water
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small spring thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch saffron
- 250-500 g squid, used small ones
- 500-700 g fish filets
- 250-500 g shrimps
- Parley for topping
- First of all prepare the shells, heads or other parts of fish which would be suitable for the basic broth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep pot and fry the shells, heads … until fragrant. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Heat other 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add onion as well as whole garlic cloves and cook until translucent.
- Add wine and let boil for a few minutes.
- Add water and bring to boil.
- Add water, carrot, tomato, potato, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the fried shells, heads, fish bones… in small kitchen towel, close this with a knot or cord. And place this in the pot as well.
- Cover and let simmer for one hour, but remove bay after 10 minutes or so.
- During this thyme slice the squid, but fish in bite sized pieces and refrigerate until needed.
- Remove the bag with the fish and pressing out the precious juices.
- Blend the vegetables in the fish stock, if necessary sieve them to get a smoother base.
- Add saffron, fish and calamari. Cook for about 30 minutes more without stirring. Add more water if necessary to taste: you would like a creamy but not too heavy soup.
- Add shrimps, season again if necessary.
- Serve immediately topped with parsley.
- To go with this toasted bread, croutons or simply rustic bread.