This soft and rustic breakfast cake has been my breakfast for many years, but it is perfect for your morning break as well.
The ingredients are very basic, these are the ingredients that my mother has always on hand, but you can add other ingredients as grated orange zest (or chopped candied orange), raisings or even make a marbled cake adding some chocolate powder to part of the batter and mixing it lightly after pouring it into the mold.
My mother adds some maraschino to give the special flavor to it, but you can also add one tablespoon amaretto instead.
My children used to spread some margarine and sugar over the slices and Yum… This is a souvenir in honor of my mother!
Ciambella Della Nonna – Italian Breakfast Cake
- 400 g flour ( 13 ounces)
- 150 g margarine (5 ounces) or 150 g butter ( 5 ounces)
- 180 g sugar ( 6 ounces)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons almond liqueur ( we use maraschino)
- 1 lemon zest or 1 orange zest
- 100 ml milk ( 1/3 cup)
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar ( additional only for topping)
- Preheat the oven at 220°C (425°F).
- Grease your mold (I use a ring-shaped one) and dust with flour.
- Work all the ingredients (reserve the sugar for topping) with the kneading machine until smooth.
- Spread the batter in the mold.
- Top with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 220°C (425°F).