As soon as asparagus appear in the shops I feel attracted from them and I love to bring the spring on our dishes. The fist asparagus I bought this year were the white ones, usually not my favorites, but in this case the simplicity of the recipe and the addition of the first mint which was just coming in these days this dish turned in a winner.
During the preparation I saw my basil in the pot and I decided to try it as well; the result was so delicious that my family could not say which of both variations the best was!
To the cooking technique: to complete the meal some carbs would be great and my method was a layer of potatoes half covered with water and trimmed and peeled asparagus laying on the grid of potatoes. In this way the potatoes had been boiled and the asparagus steamed!
This recipe can be prepared with a minimum of salt as the lemon juice will add “what” you are looking for!
You can also simply boil, steam or grill you green or white asparagus and serve this delicious sauce.
Asparagus on Potatoes with Butter-Lemon and Herbs Sauce
- 400-600 g potatoes, peeled and cut into sticks (as much as you need for 2 people)
- 500 g asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (alternative lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint/basil leaves, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 lemon zest, grated or finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take a mold which would fit with the size of the asparagus and first arrange the potatoes on the bottom. Add one centimeter of lightly salted water, cover (you can use some foil) and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Lay asparagus on the potatoes grid, cover and bring gently to simmer.
- In the meantime place butter, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small saucepot to melt partially (I used my pot for Greek coffeeJ!) or use the microwave for this. Remove from fire and stir well to combine. Add herbs (reserve some for decoration if you like) and season with salt and pepper if needed and stir again.
- When potatoes are done and asparagus is tender but still firm, drain carefully all the water and drizzle with the aromatized butter. Sprinkle with additional herbs and serve immediately.