This colorful sweet and sour Chinese dish is quick and very easy to be prepared and makes a great family weeknight meal.
I used fresh pineapple as it tastes fresher and it is also a bit healthier than the other form the tin. Serve it with a side of steamed white rice and some veggies. For a bit more color I added to my old recipe one some diced red pepper.
For a wonderful presentation, slice the pineapple lengthwise, remove the flesh for cooking and serve the dish in the halved pineapple.
Chinese Chicken with Pineapple
- 250 g boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into 2 cm pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh grinded black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon vegetal oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely dice
- 1-2 tablespoons garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely diced or chopped
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or other fruit juice you like to go with
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, to taste
- A few drops roasted sesame oil, optional
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 250 g fresh pineapple, diced into 2 cm pieces
- In small ball toss chicken pieces with salt, pepper and coriander. Coat well with cornstarch and set aside.
- Now be sure you have all your ingredients ready!
- In a big non-sticky skillet fry ginger and cloves with 4 tablespoons oil, when it begins to change color add red pepper and fry until garlic is golden. Place in a small dish and set aside.
- Heat to tablespoon oil in the skilled and fry the coated chicken pieces on all sides until light golden.
- In the meantime: In the bowl where you had the chicken place pineapple juice, broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and sugar. Stir well to dissolve the cornstarch leftovers from the walls of the bowl.
- As soon as the chicken is golden add the prepared liquid and the reserved garlic, ginger and red pepper mixture. Stir quickly and add the pineapple.
- Heat trough and serve with rice