It’s already a few month ago we had this delicious meal and finally I’m here writing down this recipe.
One day we were quite busy and needed a tasty and filling lunch; we had a dozen frozen wheat tortillas, bolognaise leftovers and all the ingredients for the béchamel.
I don’t expect you have the same ready at home, so I give you my recipes.
I suggest to adapt the quantity of ingredients to the size and the quantity of tortillas, the easiest way is to have enough tortillas and you can freeze the remaining.
For this recipe I used the mold who best fitted to the size of the tortilla.
Enjoy you Italo-Mexican meal.
Variation: add cumin and cilantro to make a Mexican meat-tomatoes sauce instead of the traditional bolognaise.
Tortagna – Lasagna with Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250 g minced meat (pork-beef mixed or pure beef)
- 1 glass wine (any kind, but not too sweet)
- 2 tins chopped pelati (=canned tomatoes) or about 500 g chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 small carrot grated, optional
- 1 tablespoon celery, chopped (leaves, stem or root)
- 2 tablespoon basil leaves
- More herbs to taste if desired as oregano or parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 500 ml milk
- Nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- 7 ready-made tortillas (more or less 20 cm wide)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a big pot heat oil and fry onion until translucent.
- Add meat and fry until meat is begins to smell roasted.
- Add win and cook until almost adsorbed.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, celery, herbs and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmering temperature.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover
- Let simmer for a few hours if necessary add some water. When the oil separate is done, but you can cook it further for better taste.
- In a saucepot heat melt the butter, add flour and cook until flour turn light brown.
- Remove from heat. Add all the milk at once and stir immediately until flour-butte mix is dissolved.
- Heat again stirring constantly until it comes to boil.
- In the meantime add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- When it is thick it is ready.
Note: if you with a thicker béchamel you may add little more butter combined with flour dissolved in little milk,
Brush your mold with olive oil.
- Add ¼ of the béchamel sauce to the bottom of the mold
- Cover with one tortilla
- Add ½ of the bolognaise sauce top with ¼ of the cheese
- Cover with another tortilla
- Repeat: béchamel, tortilla, bolognaise, cheese, tortilla; béchamel, tortilla, bolognaise, cheese, tortilla; béchamel, tortilla, bolognaise, cheese
- I like to top my lasagna (tortagna) with the meat-cheese layer, but you may change the order as desired.
- Bake covered with foil at 160°C for about 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for further 10 minutes until top is crunchy! Enjoy!