A scrumptious very moist cake which will impress your family and friends and is perfect to feed many people!
The berry season will start very soon, the first strawberries are here, but don’t forget that you can prepare this cake with the berries you have on hand depending from the season.
I love this with mixed cherries from the garden especially if I will get a few wild and very scented strawberries!
You can add some liqueur or a few tablespoons of brandy to the jelly or to the cream too!
Chocolate Cake with Mascarpone and Berry Topping
- 120 g butter (4 ounces)
- 100 g sugar (3 1/3 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 180 g flour (6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 250 g mascarpone (6 ounces)
- 125 g Quark (4 ounces) or 125 g cream cheese (4 ounces)
- 75 g sugar (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 450 g mix berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or other berries, 15 ounces)
- Glaze (substitute any fruit jelly)
- 10 g glaze, powder for tarts if possible red (0.35 ounces)
- 1 cup water ( or as described on the jelly package)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional, if possible from berries or pomegranate) or syrup (optional, if possible from berries or pomegranate)
- Heat your oven at 160°C (320°F).
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until soft and smooth.
- Add eggs one by one und mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and cocoa.
- Add flour mix to egg mix and work until smooth.
- Grease you baking mold (about 25 to 30 cm or 10 to 12 inches) and spread on it the batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until through at 160°C (320°F).
- Let cool down.
- In the meanwhile prepare your cream mixing together mascarpone, quark, sugar and lemon juice.
- Spread the cream over the cake base with a spatula.
- Prepare the glaze as described on the package (I use http://www.curiosityshoptea.com/store/product/8550/Dr-Oetker-Red-Cake-Glaze/) adding sugar and if you like the syrup. Heat as described.
- Let cool down 5 minutes.
- Spoon or brush the glaze over the berries.
- Let sit for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Cut in pieces and serve.