This year the summer seems still far away, rain and low temperature inspired me to prepare a soup for dinner. Since years I wanted to prepare a tortilla soup and finally today I made it, we loved its strong and wonderful taste. It’s simply, rustic and very comforting recipe, exactly as need during these bad weather days!
To prepare a real special soup I decided to roast the veggies in the oven before preparing this soup and used those for the base of the soup. I did not add chicken and avocado as I did not have them on hand but I certainly would do it next time if available.
Tortilla Soup – Sopa de tortillas
- 500 g tomatoes,
- 2 red peppers
- 1 small Green pepper, or red pepper
- 1 small onion,diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tablespoon or 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 cup wáter
- 1 teaspoon of bouillon paste (broth paste concentrate, chicken, beef or vegetables), to taste
- Salt, pepper, lime juice and chili flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken, bone, skin and fat removed, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-8 corn or wheat tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons cream cheese softened with 1-2 tablespoons cream or milk, optional, to taste
- Place tomatoes and peppers to roast under the broiler or roast in non-sticky skillet (use an old one!). Roast on all sides. Place the veggies in a bowl, cover and let for 15 minutes. After this time it’s easier to remove the skin. Save their liquids.
- Blend the veggies together with onion, garlic, cilantro, water and bouillon until smooth.
- Pour mixture in a pot and bring slowly to simmer, adjust with salt, pepper, lime juice and chili flakes to taste.
- Add chicken if desired. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering roast the tortillas in a non-sticky skillet stirring constantly with the oil until crisp as desired.
- Serve the soup in the single plates, top with avocado pieces, hot tortillas and the cheese. Dot with the cream cheese mixture. Serve immediately.