I prepared these sushi roll without nori leaves (dried seaweed) as I did not have them at home. This made a great change, next time I will make half portion with nori and half with rice paper.
The simplicity and at the same time the possibility to change this recipe to the ingredients on hand is amazing. The final plate looks like a flower bouquet which will make your table more impressive.
I served the wasabi paste and the pickled ginger in a carved piece of cucumber. It’s easy to be prepared and will impress your guests. Next time I will prepare single small cucumber bowls for each guest!
Rice Paper Sushi
- Rice paper or for the “dark” sushi nori sheets.
For the rolls:
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
For the filling:
- 1 carrots, washed, peeled and then cut them into long skinny strips
- 1 small cucumber, washed and then cut them into long skinny strips
- 1 avocado, remove from skin with a big spoon and cut into slices/strips
- 3-4 Surimi sticks cut into skinny strips
- Sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi paste
- Japanese soy sauce
- Wash the sushi rice 3 times.
- Add water.
- Bring to boil in a heavy pot covered. When it boils reduce the heat to simmer.
- Let simmer until water is almost adsorbed and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the ingredients for the filling.
- Uncover and fan the while fluffing the rice.
- Add sugar, sesame oil and rice vinegar
- Stir well cover and let sit for at least 10 minutes
- Place the rice paper on a plate and run it carefully under warm current water until softened; pay attention not to brake it!
- Wrap your sushi mat with plastic foil and grease it with a thin layer of oil.
- Adjust the rice paper on the prepared mat. Spread a handful of rice in a rectangle and press it lightly together
- Place the prepared ingredients in the center (lengthways) of the rice.
- Roll it by hand carefully using the sushi mat: Roll the bamboo into a long roll by first folding the bottom third in then roll it up. It should look like a tube of some sort. Now remove the sushi roll from the bamboo and cut out as follows.
- Unwrap, roll into sesame seed if desired and cut the roll into 1 ½-2 cm thick pieces and arrange on a plate.
- Serve with wasabi paste, pickled ginger and Japanese soy sauce.