Have you ever tried something like this? After finding this video I couldn’t resist to not try it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7vY0V4cMU
As beekeeper and following the Swiss mite (Varroa destructor) control which includes the cutting of drone brood (http://www.agroscope.admin.ch/publikationen/einzelpublikation/index.html?lang=de&aid=10950&pid=181369 ) I decided to try the recipe suggested by the video.
I know this would sound very weird for many people, but in some ways shrimps are related to insects; thus why not try baby-honeybee-drones?
For the preparation of the drones I suggest to follow the video’s instructions, taking care of using ONLY white/light honeycombs.
For my friends who can’t try this, or whom are afraid of trying “something like this”, I suggest to try this recipe using nuts (almonds, pecans, peanuts, pine nuts…) and serve them in the same way.
I prepared this recipe for a beekeeper event as an appetizer, I confess I was really scared of serving this and I had to find a way to serve this as appealing as possible and like finger food preparation.
Well, I did what I was able to and I was really surprised of my beekeeper friends’ positive reactions.
Hachinoko – Japanese Baby Bees Recipe
- 1 cup 3 weeks old drone breed, alternative chopped nuts!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-4 teaspoons Japanese soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 fillo sheet or wheat spring rolls sheets
- Mini muffins molds (I used silicon molds about 2 cm wide)
- Prepare the breed as shown in the video. Shortly: melt honeycomb in hot water, rinse through a sieve. Brush the breed with cold water. Repeat several time to eliminate wax and as much as possible of the cap of the cells (if necessary by hand using a fork).
- Heat oil and fry over medium heat. Fry the breed stirring constantly.
- When it begins to dry add soy sauce and hones. Continue to fry until crispy.
- Place over a sieve to drop out the oil and the fat release by the breed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cut small round portions of fillo sheet which would cover the inner part of the mini molds.
- Spoon about ½ teaspoon of breed into the prepared fillo shells. Bake for 3-4 minutes until you will see that the borders of the fillo begin to change color. Remove from the oven and let cool down.